How are you praying?(Day 4)

                                                                    Source-reachingcampus.com
 On day 2 Here we read a verse Philippians 4:4-9 and in verse 5 it says let your gentleness be evident to all. If you notice in my description of the man in Colorado, Here I mentioned that he had such a gentleness about him. So he truly lived this verse in a way that a total stranger(me) could see it. 
     Do you think people see this gentleness in you? Do they see you as full of peace and gentleness? 
     I'm sorry to say, but I can't answer that with a yes. They don't see it, nor do I. I want to, yet that seems to be my problem. I want to be a lot of things. I want to be thinner, but do I do the work to make that happen. I want to be full of peace and gentleness. Do I really? Getting Real here it tells me right there in the next verse how to make that happen. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God.  So lets camp here for a little bit and dig in. 
     Do I get anxious about things? Oh my sometimes even to the point I think I'm having a anxiety attack. Do I want to confess this right here before everyone? No, but God has called me to it and I said we are getting REAL, and I say I want this, then I have to do what it takes to have it. Amen? 
     Anything, that is a strong word. We all know God didn't mean a bit less even. He wants us to trust him with EVERYTHING!! When we truly trust, then we lay it at his feet and walk away. End of subject. 
     He continues to say in verse 6 but in everything, by prayer and petition. So when something, no matter what it is, comes to us in our daily life. We need to pray, and petition the Lord, about whatever it is. Instead of getting anxious and loosing our peace and gentleness. These words, are used here, as action verbs. So we are to do them. Dictionary.com list this as the verb definition of petition: to beg for or request (something). I don't know about you, but sometimes I beg and sometimes I request. 
     In the first sentence of the above paragraph I put a period after petition, so we could dissect each part yet God didn't, he continues with, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. So does that mean that we are suppose to say "oh ya Lord and thank you for the sun, my family etc". In the sense of buttering him up, like our kids did when they wanted something. I don't think so. 
     I believe it means we pray with confidence. We thank him for what he is going to do. Remember we are trusting him with it and we have to know he loves us so much that he is going to do whatever is best for us. Not necessarily what we want or asked for, but what is best for us and his will. Maybe I should write, best for us, in his will. 
     If we are praying stuff out of his will or totally against his character, that's a whole different story.
     Tucked away, back up in verse 5, is a little four word sentence, and yet says so much. The Lord is near. Right behind, Let your gentleness be evident to all. We have nothing to fear, the Lord is near us, taking care of us. 
     So I'm learning here today that everything that concerns me, I need to take before the Lord in prayer, petition, and thanksgiving. If I really do that and make it a daily part of my life from here on out. I will have peace and a evident gentleness. God follows up with his promise of that in his next verse.  7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Transcends (via dictionary.com- Theology (of the Deity) to be above and independent of (the universe, time, etc.).) all understanding. So when something major goes down in our life and yet we have a gentle peace about us, we remember this verse. God told us we wouldn't understand it, but it is real. As if that isn't enough, he loves us so much, he goes on to promise us he will guard our hearts and minds. SIGN ME UP!!! Where else in life do you get that kind of promises and KNOW that they are for REAL. God can not lie, it is fully against his character. So with that it is a guarantee. Isn't that what we all want?  
     I'm going to be making some changes in my life, how about you? I'm going to try and memorize this whole passage as if it is my only sheet of the Bible.here Will you join me? Don't you love to take verses apart like this and really see what they say? I would love to hear your thoughts.

In Him

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to have your comments